Irvine Bicycle Accident Lawyer
California Laws On Bicycles
All cyclists must follow traffic laws, just like motor vehicle drivers. Irvine has an organized on-road and off-road system designated for bicycle riders, consisting of around 113 miles of trails. At the same time, the right lane of many main roads is designated bike lane In total, 286 miles of road and trail are reserved for bicycles Cyclists must remain on a trail or in a bike lane where they are available. When no bicycle lane is present, cyclists must proceed with traffic, obeying all traffic laws.
California law requires cyclists and motorists to abide by the following regulations:
Vehicle Code 21202(a): A bicycle must stick to the right-hand side of the street at all times, except when it is passing or making a left turn.
Vehicle Code 21206: Bicycles are not allowed on the sidewalks when a lane is designated for them in the roadway.
Vehicle Code 21960: The California Department of Transportation doesn’t allow bicycles on freeways.
Vehicle Code 21212(a): Cyclists under 18 must wear helmets.
Do I Need A Lawyer For A Bicycle Accident Claim In Irvine?
How Can A Bicycle Accident Attorney In Irvine Help?
- A bicycle accident attorney explains your situation from a legal perspective and educates you about your legal rights. They help you understand the case and determine the exact compensation you deserve.
- Your lawyer does all the paperwork, gathers all necessary documents, fills out forms, and handles all conversations and meetings with the defendant’s insurance company. You will get the chance to recover in peace and avoid any form of miscommunication or misunderstanding from your side to the defendant.
- Lawyers gather evidence, assess reports, and talk to witnesses. All evidence, photos, and videos of the accident will be properly documented. They may also hire and expert witnesses if necessary.
- Your lawyer will negotiate a just amount with the insurance companies. If a dispute arises, they will help you file a lawsuit, undergo all the pretrial processes, and represent you in court before a judge or a jury.
Types Of Bicycle Accidents That Occur In Irvine, California
- Cyclists ignoring traffic rules, such as running red lights.
- Speeding and distracted motorists.
- Dooring accidents (a car door opened in a cyclist’s path).
- Rear-end collision as motor vehicles switch into bike lanes at high speed.
- T-bone accidents, such as when bikes are crossing roads or making a left turn.
- Motor vehicles intrude into bike lanes.
- Vehicles side-swiping cyclists.
Common Causes Of Bicycle Accidents In Irvine
- Drinking before riding/driving
- Road rage and aggressive riding/driving
- Inexperienced riders
- Defects in mechanical parts
- Brake failure
- Losing balance due to external objects on the road
- Dangerous weather and road conditions
- Riding an improperly sized bike
- Bags or clothes stuck to the chain or wheels
Common Injuries Bicyclists Suffer In Accidents In Irvine, CA
- Leg and forearm fractures
- Rib fractures
- Spinal cord injuries/damage
- Muscle injuries
- Head and brain injuries
- Facial injuries
- Cuts and bruises
What To Do After You Get Into A Bicycle Accident In Irvine?
Common Mistakes To Avoid When Hiring A Bicycle Accident Lawyer In Irvine
- Talking to the insurance company without an attorney. It is extremely important to seek guidance from a lawyer before starting a conversation with the insurance company. If you accept what the insurer offers without consulting a lawyer, you will likely receive a short settlement. Also, you may say something that can be used against your claim during the negotiation.
- Depending on the defendant’s insurance company documents. The defendant will also gather evidence to present in court. You must be prepared with your own evidence with the help of your lawyer, as the perspectives are different.
- Rushing to hire any personal injury lawyer available. A positive outcome hinges on your choice of a personal injury lawyer. You must look into a lawyer’s experience and past work. Talk to their former clients if possible. Check reviews and ratings online. It is important to learn enough about a lawyer before hiring them to understand whether the values and practices align with what you need.
- Not considering the possibility of trial. Some personal injury lawyers may not do court representations, and their services may only be limited to handling insurance companies. When filing a claim, you must consider the possibility of taking the case to court. Hire a lawyer who does court representation, as it may be difficult and prolong the process to switch attorneys.
Compensation For Your Bicycle Accident Claim In Irvine
Contact Top-Rated Bicycle Accident Lawyer
FAQs About Bicycle Accidents Lawyer In Irvine, CA
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Bicycle Accidents in California?
In California, the statute of limitation for personal injury is 2 years, and property damage is 2 years from the date of the accident.
What Can I Claim From a Bicycle Accident?
You can claim both economic and non-economic damages for your losses in a bicycle accident. It may include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Cost of medication and therapy
- Property repair cost
- Compensation for the pain and suffering