Have you or a loved one been a victim of elder abuse in Orange County
Elderly people deserve to be treated with respect and care. Many elders are put into nursing homes by their loved ones to receive proper care and attention. Unfortunately, in many cases we have seen elders not given proper treatment nor attention, and subjected to neglect or abuse. In such cases, it is wise to consult with an experienced nursing home neglect and abuse attorney to know what legal rights and options you have.
What Is Nursing Home Abuse?
The reality is nursing home abuse and neglect does not only affect the victims, it also extends to their family. The most common types of abuse in a nursing home are:
- Emotionally abuse such as yelling, using foul language and ridiculing patients.
- Physical abuse, including unnecessary physical or forced restraint, hitting, choking, or over-sedating patients.
- Abandonment without adequate healthcare nor sufficient support or contact with medical staff.
- Sexual abuse is common in a nursing homes.
- Neglect by not meeting the patient’s needs in terms of food, and hygiene.
- Financial abuse such as when the family’s money isn’t utilized to take care of their cherished one.
- Psychological or emotional abuse can likewise be inflicted by someone vowing to help a patient without fulfilling the promise.
Signs Of Elder Abuse
The effects of abuse differ for each patient. As such, it is important to know how to determine if your loved one has been abused in a nursing home. Look for signs of:
- Loss of appetite
- Bruises, cuts, scratches, burns, sores or infections
- Loss of enthusiasm for activities
- Signs of mental anguish, depression, or mood swings
- Sleep deprivation
The extent of abuse in nursing homes has brought emergence of nursing home laws. They are designed to protect patients in these facilities and arraign individuals who abuse those they ought to take care of. If you are concerned that your loved one has suffered abuse in their nursing home, you then need to speak with an experienced elder abuse attorney. We at Nordean Law will aggressively fight for your rights.
Don’t hesitate to contact our elder abuse lawyers today to receive a no-cost consultation. 888-254-3222