Santa Ana Truck Accident Lawyer
Table Of Contents
Dealing with the aftermath of a truck accident is daunting. Aside from physical pain and emotional trauma, various legal and financial concerns exist. A Santa Ana truck accident lawyer can help guide you through this challenging time, securing your rights and compensation.
Nordean Law has built a reputation as a leading personal injury law firm in California. Our seasoned truck accident lawyers in Santa Ana are committed to achieving the best possible outcome for your case.
Contact our office online or call 888-527-1267 to schedule your free consultation with an experienced Santa Ana truck accident lawyer. Our law firm handles truck accident cases on a contingency fee basis, which means we don’t get compensated if you don’t get compensated.
FREE Consultation Call With Our
Truck Accident Lawyer Serving Santa Ana!
California Trucking Laws
Navigating the labyrinth of California trucking laws can be complicated, especially when recovering from your injuries. These laws dictate everything from the weight of the cargo a truck can carry to the number of hours a trucker can operate their vehicle without a break. Understanding truck accident laws can help you build a solid claim. Below are listed a few California trucking laws.
- Compliance with Federal Regulations: Both intrastate and interstate motor carriers must comply with federal regulations in California. They include drug and alcohol testing, controlled substances, alcohol prohibition while driving commercial motor vehicles, and load securement.
- Weight Restrictions: According to the California Vehicle Code, no vehicle may exceed 80,000 pounds, with no more than 20,000 pounds allowable for any single axle.
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL): Any person wishing to operate a commercial truck on California roadways must first get a commercial driver’s license (CDL). Drivers must first obtain the appropriate CDL endorsements based on the type of vehicle they will be operating.
- Truck Restrictions: California does not have peak-hour truck restrictions during certain hours. However, it is essential to note that state and federal law forbids highway restrictions that discriminate against trucks.
- AB5 Law: California’s Assembly Bill 5 (AB5) has codified a new system for determining whether truck drivers and other “gig economy” workers are independent contractors or employees of their companies. The law has implications for truckers in the state, particularly those classified as independent operators.
Truck Accident Statute of Limitations in California
The statute of limitations for filing a personal injury lawsuit in California is two years. You have two years from the accident date to take legal action. However, if you only discovered your injuries later, the clock might start from the date of discovery instead. It’s essential to consult with a Santa Ana truck accident attorney soon after your accident. They help you understand these legal deadlines and ensure you don’t miss your opportunity to seek justice.
Get Your Compensation Now!
Statistics on Truck Accidents in Santa Ana
Like the rest of California, truck accidents in Santa Ana are a significant concern. According to recent data, California leads the nation in trucking accidents. These accidents often result in serious injuries or even death, given the size and weight of commercial trucks.
- California records 3,000+ truck accidents yearly. These accidents leave 200 to 300 people dead.
- As per the California Office of Traffic Safety, from 2020 to 2021, traffic fatalities increased from 4,000 to 4,300 in 2021.
- In 2022, California witnessed over 3,900 lethal accidents, and the number of incidents resulting in injuries exceeded an alarming 277,000. These figures rank 2022 as one of California’s most tragic years for motor vehicle accidents.
The statistics on Santa Ana truck accidents are not available; however, the city significantly contributes to truck accidents in California. On July 22, 2023, there was a fatal accident involving a sedan and a cement truck in Santa Ana. It killed one person, and another was seriously injured.
Why You Need a Truck Accident Lawyer in Santa Ana?
Truck accidents often involve multiple parties, from the truck driver and their employer to the truck manufacturer and insurance companies. Determining who’s liable for your injuries can be a complex process. Moreover, insurance companies often attempt to minimize their payouts, offering settlements far short of covering the victim’s losses.
A skilled truck accident lawyer in Santa Ana advocates for your legal rights and negotiates with insurance companies for a fair settlement. They represent you in court to help you receive your deserved compensation if necessary.
Hear From Our Community Of Satisfied
Santa Ana Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me
Common Types of Truck Accidents in Santa Ana
Truck accidents can occur in many ways, resulting in severe injuries and significant damage. Understanding the type of accident you were involved in can help you build a strong case for a fair settlement. Below are listed some common types of truck accidents in Santa Ana.
Jackknife accidents happen when the truck trailer swings out to form a 90-degree angle with the cab, similar to a folding pocket knife. It often occurs due to abrupt braking, equipment failure, or adverse road conditions. They can lead to multi-vehicle accidents, causing severe harm to other road users.
An underride accident occurs when a smaller vehicle gets trapped under the trailer of a truck. These accidents are hazardous and often fatal, as the top of the smaller car can get sheared off. Faulty or absent underride guards can contribute to the occurrence of these accidents.
The truck tips over onto its side or roof in a rollover accident. Many factors, such as high speed, sharp turns, uneven cargo load, or poor weather conditions, cause these accidents. Rollovers can lead to the truck colliding with other vehicles or obstacles, often causing catastrophic damage.
A head-on collision occurs when the front of a truck hits the front of another vehicle. These accidents can occur due to driver fatigue, distraction, or intoxication. Given the size and weight of trucks, head-on collisions can result in severe, often fatal, injuries.
A rear-end collision occurs when a truck hits the vehicle in front of it. Due to trucks’ large size and weight, their braking distance is significantly longer than smaller vehicles. If the truck driver fails to maintain a safe distance or becomes distracted, a rear-end collision can quickly occur, leading to severe injuries for those in the struck vehicle.
Most Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Many factors, including driver fatigue, distracted driving, equipment failure, and improper cargo loading, can cause truck accidents.
Understanding the cause of your truck accident can help determine who should be held accountable for your injuries and losses. Some of the most common causes of truck accidents are listed below.
- Driver Fatigue: When truck drivers work long hours, they may become tired, leading to decreased reaction times and impaired judgment.
- Distracted Driving: From talking on a cell phone to daydreaming, distractions can come in many forms. They can be dangerous when operating a massive vehicle like a truck.
- Equipment Failure: If the truck’s equipment fails, it can cause an accident. That includes brake failure, tire blowouts, steering failure, and more.
- Improper Loading: If the cargo in the truck is not adequately secured and evenly distributed, it can lead to accidents. Uneven loads can make the truck more prone to rollovers, while unsecured cargo can fall off the truck and create a hazard for other road users.
Common Injuries of Truck Accidents
Truck accidents often result in severe injuries due to the significant size and weight difference between trucks and most other vehicles. Below are a few common injuries one may sustain in a truck accident in Santa Ana.
- Head and Brain Injuries: Head injuries range from mild concussions to severe traumatic brain injuries. They can lead to permanent cognitive impairment.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Damage to the spinal cord can result in loss of sensation, paralysis, and other serious, lifelong complications.
- Broken Bones: The force of a truck collision can easily break bones. In severe cases, one may require surgery and extensive rehabilitation.
- Internal Injuries: A truck accident can cause damage to internal organs, leading to internal bleeding and other life-threatening conditions.
- Cuts and Lacerations: Flying debris, shattered glass, and the crash’s impact can cause deep cuts and lacerations. They can lead to significant blood loss and scarring.
If you’ve been injured in a truck accident, seeking immediate medical attention is crucial. A truck accident attorney can help you seek compensation for your injuries and other damages.
What To Do After a Truck Accident in Santa Ana, CA?
Understanding the steps after a truck accident can be crucial to ensuring your safety and protecting your legal rights. Follow the steps below after a truck accident in Santa Ana, California.
- Ensure Safety: First and foremost, you should move safely away from traffic flow. It helps you prevent further injuries.
- Call for Help: Immediately report the accident to the police. Even if the accident seems minor, an official police report can be helpful for your insurance claim and any future legal proceedings.
- Seek Medical Attention: It is essential to seek medical attention, even if you feel fine. Some injuries, like whiplash or internal bleeding, might not show symptoms immediately but can be serious.
- Document the Scene: If it’s safe, take pictures or videos of the accident scene, your injuries, and any damages. They are valuable evidence in your case.
- Collect Information: Collect the contact information of the other parties involved in the accident. Get the contact numbers of the witnesses nearby as well.
- Contact a Lawyer: Consult a knowledgeable Santa Ana Truck Accident lawyer who can guide you through the legal process and help you maximize your compensation.
What to Expect During a Truck Accident Lawsuit?
You may wonder what the legal process entails after a truck accident. While every case is unique, these are the general steps you can expect.
- Investigation: Your truck accident lawyer begins investigating the accident. They gather evidence and identify the liable parties.
- Filing a Claim: The attorney then files a claim with the responsible party’s insurance company, outlining the damages you’ve sustained and the compensation you seek.
- Negotiation: The insurance company may try to negotiate a settlement. Your lawyer will negotiate to secure the best compensation for you.
- Filing a Lawsuit: If a fair settlement cannot be reached, the Santa Ana truck accident attorney files a lawsuit against the responsible parties. The case may then proceed to trial, where your attorney will present your case to a judge or jury.
How Much Compensation Can I Recover for My Truck Accident in Santa Ana?
The compensation you can recover after a truck accident in Santa Ana depends on several factors, including the severity of your injuries and the degree of the truck driver’s negligence. A serious truck accident lawyer in Santa Ana, CA, works diligently to recover damages for:
- Medical Bills: This includes past, present, and future medical expenses related to your injuries.
- Lost Wages: If your injuries prevent you from working, you can seek compensation for lost income.
- Property Damage: You may be entitled to compensation for the cost to repair or replace your vehicle and other personal property damaged in the accident.
- Pain and Suffering: You may also seek compensation for the physical pain and emotional distress caused by the accident.
- Punitive damages: You may also be awarded punitive damages. It is meant to punish the at-fault party for particularly reckless or negligent behavior.
It Costs Nothing To Hire Us.
When We Win, We Pay You.
Contact Top Rated Santa Ana Truck Accident Attorney Today For A Free Case Evaluation
You must seek legal representation if you injured in a truck accident in Santa Ana. At Nordean Law, our experienced Santa Ana truck accident lawyers fight tirelessly to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve. We understand the physical, emotional, and financial toll a truck accident can take on victims and their families. Our personal injury experts handle every aspect of your claim, allowing you to focus on your recovery.
Truck accidents can have devastating consequences, leaving you with severe injuries and significant financial burdens. Having a competent Santa Ana truck accident lawyer in your corner is crucial. They can navigate the complex legal system, hold the responsible parties accountable, and work to secure the maximum compensation for your losses. Remember, at Nordean Law, your fight is our fight. We’re here to help you through every step of the process. Don’t wait – contact us today for a free consultation.
99% Client Win Rate, Contact Us For FREE Consultation
FAQs About Truck Accident Lawyer In Santa Ana
How Long Do I File a Lawsuit After a Truck Accident in California?
The statute of limitations for filing a personal injury lawsuit in California is generally two years from the accident date. However, there are exceptions, so it’s best to consult a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.
Who Is Liable for My Truck Accident in Santa Ana?
Liability in truck accidents can be complex, with multiple parties potentially at fault, including the truck driver, the truck manufacturer, and the trucking company. An experienced truck accident lawyer in California can help identify the liable parties in your case.
Should I Hire a Santa Ana Truck Accident Lawyer?
Absolutely. A truck accident lawyer in Santa Ana helps protect your rights. They gather and analyze evidence, negotiate with insurance companies, and, if necessary, represent you in court.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Santa Ana Truck Accident Lawyer?
We, Nordean Law, work on a contingency basis. We only get paid if we successfully recover compensation for you. You don’t have to worry about upfront costs or hourly fees.
What Can I Do to Protect My Rights After a Truck Accident?
Consider seeking medical attention immediately, reporting the accident to the police, documenting the scene and your injuries, and, most importantly, consulting with a Santa Ana truck accident attorney as soon as possible.
What If I’m Partially to Blame for the Accident?
California has a "pure comparative negligence" rule. Even if you are partially at fault for the accident, you can still recover damages. However, your compensation is reduced by the percentage of your fault. A skilled personal injury lawyer in Santa Ana can help you understand how this rule might apply to your case.
What Kind of Compensation Am I Entitled to After a Truck Accident?
Victims of truck accidents in Santa Ana are typically entitled to compensatory damages. It can cover medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, property damage, and more. At times, victims are awarded punitive damages. It is best to consult with a knowledgeable truck accident injury lawyer in Santa Ana, CA, as it helps you understand what compensation you may be entitled to.
How Is Fault Determined in a Truck Accident Case?
Determining fault in a truck accident can be complex and typically involves an investigation into the circumstances of the accident. This can include examining police reports, witness statements, photos, available video footage, trucking logs, maintenance records, and more. A seasoned truck accident attorney in Santa Ana conducts a thorough investigation and determines who is at fault for the accident.
What Are My Legal Rights After a Truck Accident?
After a truck accident in Santa Ana, you can seek compensation for your losses, including medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, and property damage. You also have the right to legal representation. A qualified accident injury attorney can guide you through the legal process, protect your rights, and help you obtain the compensation you deserve.
How Long Will It Take to Resolve My Case?
Several factors affect the duration of a truck accident case, including the complexity of the case and the willingness of the parties to negotiate. While some cases can be resolved in a few months, others may take years. However, an experienced personal injury attorney can help expedite the process and work toward a satisfactory resolution.