Santa Ana Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Table Of Contents
If you, or a loved one, have been unfortunate enough to experience a bicycle accident in Santa Ana, you understand the shock and trauma that follows such an event. The bicyclist suffers the most when a bicycle collides with a motor vehicle. The incident can be life-altering, causing severe injuries, immense pain, costly medical bills, and even loss of wages.
You need to consider a Santa Ana bicycle accident lawyer in such moments. Equipped with a team of seasoned bicycle accident attorneys in Santa Ana, Nordean Law is a renowned personal injury law firm in California. We fight tirelessly to secure the justice and compensation you deserve. Our lawyers understand the laws surrounding bicycle accidents and possess the experience and knowledge to navigate the complex legal landscape.
Contact our office online or call 888-527-1267 to schedule your free consultation with an experienced Santa Ana bicycle accident lawyer. Our law firm handles bicycle accident cases on a contingency fee basis, which means we don’t get compensated if you don’t get compensated.
FREE Consultation Call With Our
Bicycle Accident Lawyer Serving Santa Ana!
Bicycle Laws in Santa Ana, CA
Understanding the bicycle laws in Santa Ana, California, is vital for cyclists and motorists. These rules promote safe road sharing between bicyclists and other road users. Below are listed a few critical California bicycle laws that you should know.
- Prohibition on repairs and bicycle sales: According to a 2020 ordinance, repairing or selling bicycles or bicycle parts on public property in Santa Ana is illegal.
- Bicycle registration: The City of Santa Ana requires bicycle registration, which can be done online or in person. Registration helps in the recovery of stolen bicycles and provides proof of ownership.
- Obey traffic rules and signs: Bicyclists must obey all traffic rules and signs, including wearing helmets, giving proper hand signals, and riding in the same direction as other traffic.
Bike Accident Statute of Limitations in California
After a bicycle accident, knowing your legal rights and the deadlines for taking action is essential. California has a statute of limitations that dictates the timeframe for filing a lawsuit. Generally, personal injury claims, such as those from bike accidents, should be filed within two years from the accident date.
Get Your Compensation Now!
Statistics on Bicycle Accidents in Santa Ana
Santa Ana has seen a significant increase in bicycle accidents in recent years. While there is no specific data on bicycle accidents in Santa Ana, Santa Monica reportedly had the most bike incidents. Among all listed beach cities in Los Angeles and Orange County, 571 bike collisions happened in 2020.
According to California Active Transportation Safety Information Pages (CATSIP), around 4,000 bicycle crashes were reported in Orange County between 2017 and 2019. The county witnessed 73 bicycle accident deaths in the same timeframe, ranking second after Los Angeles County, with 177 bicycle deaths. Considering all counties, California ranks as the second most dangerous state for bicycle riders, trailing only behind Florida.
Furthermore, in 2020, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported 129 cyclist fatalities in California alone.
Why You Need a Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Santa Ana?
Securing legal representation is one of the wisest decisions you can make when involved in a bicycle accident in Santa Ana. An experienced Santa Ana bicycle accident lawyer understands the specifics of bicycle accident laws and personal injury claims. They navigate the complex legal process and gather crucial evidence to support your case. Moreover, a bicycle accident lawyer in Santa Ana negotiates with insurance companies and helps you receive the maximum compensation possible.
Types of Bicycle Accidents in Santa Ana
There are several types of bicycle accidents, each unique and potentially severe. Understanding them can better prepare you for unfortunate accidents. Some of the most common types of accidents in Santa Ana are listed below.
- Dooring Accidents: This occurs when a parked car’s door suddenly opens into a cyclist’s path. The cyclist either crashes into the door or swerves into traffic to avoid the door, leading to injuries.
- Left Cross: A left cross happens when a motorist turning left collides with a cyclist going straight on the opposite side of the road. This type of accident can result from the motorist misjudging the cyclist’s speed or not noticing the cyclist.
- Right Hook: A right hook accident occurs when a vehicle turns right and cuts off a cyclist traveling in the same direction.
- Rear-End Collisions: It is when a cyclist is hit from behind by a motor vehicle. It happens if the motorist is distracted or fails to maintain a safe distance from the cyclist.
- Sideswipes: This happens when a motorist and cyclist travel parallel, and the motorist veers too close to the cyclist, causing a collision.
Hear From Our Community Of Satisfied
Santa Ana Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me
Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
While a bicycle accident can occur in countless ways, some causes are more common than others. These include:
- Distracted Driving: Motorists distracted by mobile phones or other activities can easily overlook cyclists, leading to accidents.
- Speeding: Speeding reduces a motorist’s time to react to unforeseen circumstances, such as a cyclist’s sudden move.
- Drunk Driving: Impaired drivers have reduced reaction times and diminished ability to make sound judgments, posing a significant risk to cyclists.
- Failure to Yield: Some accidents happen when motorists fail to yield the right of way to cyclists at intersections or when making turns.
- Poor Road Conditions: Potholes, debris, and other hazardous road conditions may lead cyclists to fall or swerve into the path of a vehicle.
Common Injuries of Bicycle Accidents
Bicycle accidents can lead to severe injuries, given the minimal protection a bicycle provides compared to a car. Some common injuries in a bicycle accident include:
- Head Injuries: Head injuries are common in bicycle accidents, ranging from mild concussions to severe traumatic brain injuries. Cyclists can reduce the risk by always wearing a helmet.
- Broken Bones: Arms, legs, collarbones, and wrists are especially prone to fractures in a bicycle accident.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: They often result from a cyclist landing on their back or head and can lead to permanent disability or paralysis.
- Internal Injuries: Internal bleeding or organ damage often occurs from the impact force in a bicycle accident.
- Road Rash: Road rash, the skin abrasions from sliding on the pavement, is one of the most common injuries in a bicycle accident.
Wearing proper safety gear and following traffic laws can mitigate the severity of these accidents. However, if an accident does occur, you must consult with a Santa Ana bicycle accident attorney who can help you navigate the aftermath.
What To Do After a Bicycle Accident in Santa Ana, CA?
Being involved in a bicycle accident can be an overwhelming experience. It leaves you in shock and confusion about the following steps to take. Take the following steps to protect your legal rights and maximize the potential for compensation.
Report the Accident
The first step after a bicycle accident is to call emergency services. It ensures that both the police and medical help are on their way. The police will document the incident in a report, which can serve as crucial evidence in your claim.
Seek Immediate Medical Attention
Even if you feel fine or believe your injuries to be minor, you should still seek immediate medical attention. Some injuries may not be apparent immediately after the accident but could manifest later with potentially severe consequences. Additionally, medical records will provide valuable documentation of your injuries, which will be key in your compensation claim.
Gather as much information as possible from all parties involved in the accident, including full names, contact details, driver’s license numbers, and insurance details. If there were any witnesses to the accident, try to get their contact information. This information can be crucial when building your case.
Document the Scene
Take pictures or videos of the accident scene from multiple angles if it’s safe. Include your bicycle, the vehicle involved, injuries, and other relevant aspects such as road conditions, traffic signs, or skid marks. These images could serve as vital evidence to support your claim.
Do Not Discuss the Accident
Refrain from discussing the accident details with anyone at the scene, and providing the necessary information to the police. Do not admit fault or liability, as any statements you make could be used against you.
Contact a Santa Ana Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Contacting a lawyer as soon as possible and seeking legal advice is crucial. A qualified Santa Ana bicycle accident lawyer guides you through the legal process, handles negotiations with insurance companies, and works tirelessly to help you get the compensation you deserve.
What to Expect During a Bicycle Accident Lawsuit?
Each case is unique, and the process may vary based on the specifics of your case. However, with a skilled bicycle accident lawyer, you can navigate this process confidently and improve your chances of securing fair compensation. Once you’ve enlisted a bicycle accident lawyer in Santa Ana, a typical lawsuit process will follow these steps:
Initial Consultation: Your Santa Ana bicycle accident attorney reviews your case details, advises on the best action, and discusses potential outcomes. It typically involves gathering all necessary documentation and evidence.
Investigation: The attorney conducts a thorough investigation of the accident. They speak to witnesses, examine the accident scene, study police and medical reports, and consult with experts.
Filing the Lawsuit: If necessary, the lawyer will file a lawsuit on your behalf. They prepare and submit the required legal documents to the court.
Discovery Process: Both sides exchange information and evidence during discovery. It involves depositions, interrogatories, and document requests.
Negotiations & Settlement: Personal injury cases are often settled before trial. Your attorney negotiates with the defendant’s insurance company to reach a settlement that compensates you fairly.
Trial: Your case will go to trial if a settlement cannot be reached. Your lawyer will represent you, presenting your case and evidence to the court.
How Much Is My Bicycle Accident Claim Worth?
Determining the worth of a bicycle accident claim can be complex. The compensation for a bicycle accident claim depends on the severity of the injuries, the degree of negligence, and other unique factors. It ranges from thousands to more than $1 million. A bicycle accident claim typically covers the following:
- Medical Expenses: The cost of emergency services, hospitalization, surgeries, medication, rehabilitation, and any future medical bills related to the accident.
- Lost Wages: If your injury has caused you to miss work or has reduced your earning capacity, you are entitled to compensation for lost income and potential future earnings.
- Pain and Suffering: You may also seek compensation for the physical pain and emotional distress caused by the accident.
- Property Damage: The liable party is responsible for repairing or replacing your damaged bicycle. You can also seek compensation for any other personal belongings you lost or broke in the accident.
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life: If your injuries prevent you from participating in activities you previously enjoyed, you may be entitled to compensation.
- Punitive Damages: In cases where the at-fault party’s conduct was negligent or reckless, the court may award punitive damages to deter similar behavior.
It Costs Nothing To Hire Us.
When We Win, We Pay You.
Contact Santa Ana Bicycle Accident Attorney Today For A Free Case Evaluation
If you or a loved one has been involved in a bicycle accident in Santa Ana, don’t hesitate to reach out for legal help. Nordean Law understands the physical, emotional, and financial toll a bicycle accident can have on an individual and their family.
Our dedicated team of experienced attorneys guides you through the complex legal process, fighting tirelessly for your justice. We work on a contingency basis, meaning you pay us nothing unless we win your case. Don’t let the aftermath of a bicycle accident overwhelm you. Contact a Santa Ana bicycle accident attorney today for a free case evaluation, and take the first step towards securing your future.
Cycling should be a safe and enjoyable activity. However, when accidents happen, they can have devastating consequences. Knowing your rights and having competent legal representation is vital to securing fair compensation. Santa Ana has its unique bicycle laws, and being aware of these can help protect your rights in case of an accident.
Nordean Law has a proven track record of success in representing bicycle accident victims, ensuring they get the justice they deserve. Our expert Santa Ana bicycle accident lawyers strive to make the recovery process as smooth as possible while securing the maximum compensation. Reach out to us today, and let us fight for your rights.
99% Client Win Rate, Contact Us For FREE Consultation
FAQs About Bicycle Accident Lawyer In Santa Ana
What Is the Injury Rate of Bicycles?
The injury rate for bicyclists varies based on several factors, such as location and adherence to safety rules. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, there were 129 cyclist fatalities in California alone in 2020.
Who Is Usually at Fault If a Bicycle Is Involved in an Accident?
Determining fault in a bicycle accident depends on the specifics of the accident. It could be the driver of the motor vehicle, the cyclist, or both. An experienced personal injury attorney can help determine fault based on the evidence.
How Long Does It Take to Recover From a Bike Accident?
The recovery time after a bike accident depends on the injuries’ severity. While minor injuries may heal within weeks, severe injuries could take several months or even years to heal fully.
Does Insurance Cover Bike Damage?
Bike damage may be covered under various insurance policies, including the cyclist’s homeowner’s insurance, the motorist’s auto insurance, or a specific bicycle insurance policy. It’s best to check the specifics of your insurance coverage.
How Long Do I File a Claim After a Bicycle Accident in Santa Ana?
California's statute of limitations for bicycle accidents is typically two years from the accident date. However, certain circumstances may alter this timeframe. It’s recommended to consult with a Santa Ana personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.
How Is Fault Determined in a Bicycle Accident Case?
Fault in a bicycle accident case is usually determined through evidence such as police reports, photos of the accident scene, witness statements, and expert testimony.
How Much Time Do I Have to File a Claim?
In California, you generally have two years from the accident date to file a claim to seek compensation for your injuries and damages you sustained in a bicycle accident.
How Much Will a Bike Accident Lawyer Cost?
We, Nordean Law, work on a contingency fee basis. This means you pay no legal fees unless we successfully recover compensation on your behalf.
What Types of Damages Can You Recover From a Bicycle Accident Claim?
Damages from a bicycle accident claim may include medical expenses, property damage, lost wages, pain and suffering, and, in some cases, punitive damages.
What Are My Legal Rights After a Bicycle Accident?
After a bicycle accident, you can seek compensation for your injuries and damages from the party at fault. You also have the right to legal representation. Contacting a bicycle accident attorney in Santa Ana can help protect these rights.